This week’s recipe submitted by Food to Share volunteer Misu. Thank you!
This week I have a vegan soup recipe that is sure to warm and comfort you through these last cold and dreary days of January. I stopped eating dairy almost two years ago and have found coconut milk to be a delicious replacement for dairy in a number of recipes. This quick to make and easy coconut milk corn chowder recipe can be vegan but you could also add bacon and chicken for a heartier meal. Corn niblets and bell peppers are on sale at No Frills this week as well as boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 yukon gold potato, chopped
- 2 cans of corn niblets or 4 ears of corn on the cob
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 14-oz.can coconut milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped chives, for garnish
- optional: reserve some corn kernels and diced red pepper for garnish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and a few pinches of salt.
- Cook until soft, then add garlic, celery, potatoes.
- Add the red pepper, corn, celery salt, paprika, a pinch of salt, black pepper, and stir. Cook until the potatoes are slightly softened, about 5 minutes, then add sherry vinegar, vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 more minutes. Let cool slightly, then transfer half the soup to a blender or another pot to blend using a hand blender. Blend until creamy then return it back to the pot and stir.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and serve with chopped chives.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe called Creamy Vegan Corn Chowder, from the Love & Lemons Blog. The picture is taken from the roastedroot.net.