This weeks recipe was submitted by Food to Share volunteer, Misu. Thank you!
With holiday season in full swing, I’ve been thinking a lot about what to bring to various potlucks and parties. After making this recipe twice in the past few weeks, I’ve decided to just bring this salad everywhere I go! It’s very versatile, economical and super tasty. The vegetables also work well as leftovers, either on top of more greens or heated up as a warm roasted vegetable side dish. No Frills has all the root vegetables and squash on sale this week so don’t be shy to get extra ingredients – I bet you’ll make it more than once!
Use this recipe as a guideline only – you can add or take out ingredients and play around with the combinations of flavours. I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and diced into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups bosc pears, unpeeled and cut into wedges
- 1 cup parsnips, peeled and diced into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 4 cups baby spinach and spring mix
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
I have made this with eggplant, sweet potatoes, green beans and peppers as well as the squash and root vegetables listed above.
Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing Ingredients
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place rack in center of oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine vegetables and fruits in a large bowl with olive oil and salt. Toss well. Spread the vegetables out in a single layer onto prepared parchment lined baking sheet. Do not pile them up or they will not roast properly.
- Roast, flipping the vegetables and rotating the sheet halfway through. Bake for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Let cool. Transfer to large bowl.
- To make the dressing whisk all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- To assemble the salad place the greens in a large bowl. Season with 2-3 tablespoons of the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Toss. Arrange the greens on 4 small plates or two larger plates. Season the roasted vegetables and fruit with 2 tablespoons of the balsamic vinaigrette. Place over the greens and then top with the cranberries, nuts and cheese. Use extra vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
- For a potluck, bring the roasted vegetables, greens, nuts, cheese and dressing separately and assemble in a large bowl or on a large serving plate just before serving.